Baked Avocado Egg
This is a recipe I thought up and wasn't too sure how it would turn out. It turned out to be one of my most popular recipes. A warm, baked avocado wrapped in sausage meat and a crisp breadcrumb coating. Fill the centre with your favorite mayo.
- 1 large ripe avocado halved, destoned and peeled.
- 200 g vegan mince I used Meatless Farm (or use Linda McCartney sausages)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs make your own by putting two slices of bread in your food processor/blender
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp sage
- generous pinch of sea/pink salt
- black pepper (to season)
- your favourite vegan mayo I used peri peri
- Preheat oven to 200oC/392oFTo a large bowl add the mince, 1/2 the breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, sage, salt and pepper. Using your hands mix everything together. Be sure to use pressure so the breadcrumbs absorb the moisture from the mince to help it bind. Set aside.Cut the avocado in half and carefully remove the stone. Peel off the skin. Flatten the mince on a chopping board and wrap around the avocado (be careful not to squash the avocado). Remember where the centre cut is as you will want to cut through this when it is cooked.Mould around the avocado until you cannot see any of the green of the avocado. Using a wooded cocktail stick place though the avocado to show where the top and bottom is.Using the rest of the breadcrumbs cover the avocado and place on a baking tray. Drizzle/spray with a little oil and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.Carefully remove from the oven and remove the stick. Using an oven glove to hold the avocado cut through the original cut to half the avocado again.Fill the centre with your favourite mayo. Serve with salad, chips or potato salad. Enjoy!
Tip: Always be really careful when removing the stone from an avocado. Make sure you’re gentle covering the avocado in the sausage meat, it is delicate. Remember where you cut the avocado in half. I used a wooden cocktail stick so once cooked I know I’ll be cutting through the same cut not making a new one.