Caramelised Red Onion & Pear Tart
Here's a recipe that's great for Christmas with caramelised pear, onion and cranberry sauce. A savory tart with rich, sweet flavours. Made with gorgeous MozzaRisella classic cream cheese.
- 300 g short crust pasrty shop bought or make your own (see quiche recipe with wholemeal pastry.
- 8 tbsp vegan cream cheese I used MozzaRisella
- 1 pear sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar I used coconut sugar (healthier and tastes of caramel)
- 8 tsp cranberry sauce
- 8 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp pink/sea salt
- season with black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180oC/356oFMake your pastry or if using shop bought let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Using a large loose base flan tin line the tin with the pastry. Trim the sides with a knife and fork the base (stops it rising). Pop back in the fridge for half an hour while you make the filling.Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the pear, garlic and onion. Fry on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes to caramelise the everything. Remove the tin from the fridge the and spoon in the cheese & cranberry. Sprinkle over the sage, salt and pepper. Add the pear and onion then pour over any liquid in the pan. Making sure everything is evenly spread bake for 35-40 minutes.Remove carefully from the oven and let the tart rest for 5 minutes before serving.Serve with your roast dinner or great with a side salad. Enjoy!
Tip: I like to use wholegrain pastry (check out my quiche videos for a pastry recipe) but for this one I used shop bought (make sure it’s egg & dairy free). Be sure to spread out the ingredients evenly. I pressed down the cheese and cranberry with the back of a spoon so it covered the base. Keep an eye on the tart after 20-25 minutes and if the pastry is looking like it’s going to burn turn down the heat a little.