This is one of the first things I made when I went vegan. I remember thinking how creamy it was but obviously contains no dairy or egg. Using wholegrain spaghetti keeps it healthy with extra fibre and nutrients. This dish is packed with flavours and contains b12, protein and yet is low in saturated fat and no cholesterol. Ready in 15-20 minutes.
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced/chopped
- 2-3 rashers of vegan bacon
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- generous pinch of pink/sea salt
- pinch of black salt optional
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 30 g vegan cheese (mature) grated
- 1 cup soya cream or use oat, coconut cashew cream
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- spaghetti enough for each person (see pack guidelines)
- Prepare the pasta in a saucepan and allow to cook while you're making the sauce. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry for 3-4 minutes to soften. Add the garlic and stir in. Now add the sliced 'bacon' and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the frozen peas and cook for a couple more minutes. Pour in the cream, mustard, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper & paprika. Simmer for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the cheese and give it a good stir. Add the black salt (optional) and one final mix. Drain the cooked pasta and add to the sauce. Coat the pasta in the sauce and it's ready to serve. I love to add a little grated Parmesan (Violife), fresh parley and a pinch of paprika. Serve as it comes or with garlic bread. Enjoy!
TIP: Like most of my recipes this is a versatile dish and you can use any cream (oat, soya, cashew or coconut). I like to add a pinch of black salt at the end to add a little egg flavour. There are many vegan bacon products available but you can also use Quorn ham, tofu or tempeh.