Cashew Cheese with a Walnut & Black Pepper Crust
This is an easy and quick recipe to make your own vegan cheese. What I love about this recipe is you can flavour it how you wish. Why not add cranberries, extra garlic, herbs or spices. If you don't like walnuts coat in herbs or seeds.
- 150 g raw unsalted cashews soaked in water overnight or 1 hour in just boiled water – drained
- 1 tsp English mustard use 1/2 tsp for a less mature flavour
- 1/4 tsp pink/sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 20 g chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- black pepper I used loads but it depends on your tastes
- Add the drained cashews,coconut oil, juice, salt, garlic, mustard, miso & nutritional yeast to a blender/food processor. Blend, scrape the sides and blend again. Do this a few times until you have a lump free mixture (see video).
On a clean work surface roll out a square of clingfilm and scrape the mixture into the centre. Using the clingfilm shape into a cylinder and place in the fridge for an hour (minimum) to set.
After an hour the cheese will be firmer and ready to roll.
Chop the walnuts and sprinkle over the herbs and pepper. Roll the cheese and coat all sides.
Enjoy straight away or wrap in clingfilm and store in the fridge for up to 5-6 days. You will find over time the flavours develop and the cheese becomes firmer.
I love this cheese spread on a cracker with chutney.
TIP: You will need to scrape the sides of the blender a few times and blend until the mixture is lump free. This took me 5-6 goes until I was happy with the consistency. Ideally soak the cashews over night in water or if you’re impatient (like me) soak in just boiled water for an hour.