‘Cheese’ & Tomato Frittatas (egg free)
This is a great summer/BBQ/Picnic recipe. Tastes like eggs and cheese but with none of the cruelty. Serve hot or cold and can be prepared in advance.
Servings 6 mini frittatas
- Non stick muffin tin
- 1 pack silken tofu 350g (approx)
- 1/2 tsp black salt gives egg flavour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1/4 cup plant milk I used unsweetened soya
- 1 tsp tahini
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese grated
- a few baby tomatoes sliced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- preheat oven to 180oC/356oFFry the chopped onion and garlic in a little oil for 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to one side.To your blender/food processor add the tofu, milk, salt, pepper, tahini, turmeric, corn flour & nutritional yeast. Blend until you have a lump free mix. You may have to add a little more milk if the mix is too thick.Pour into a large bowl & add the fried onion, garlic, sliced tomatoes & grated cheese. Stir together to combine everything.Using a lined/oiled muffin tin pour in the mix to the top. Add little cheese and decorate with a slice of tomato.Bake for 25-30 minutes. Frittatas will rise while cooking but shrink back down slightly when removed from the oven.Allow to cool for 20 minutes or longer before carefully removing from the tin. I found a plastic spatula around the sides to loosen the frittatas helps.Serve hot or cold with salad. Enjoy!
Make sure you line/oil your muffin tin as the frittatas can stick. Use a plastic spatula to remove the frittatas from the tin after they’ve cooled for 20 minutes.