‘Chicken’ Satay Skewers
This is a great summer/BBQ/Picnic recipe. You can cook these in the oven or on the BBQ. I used vegan chicken but you could use tofu, tempeh or your favourite meat substitute.
- 1 pack vegan chicken strips or use tofu, tempeh, mock meats
- Various veggies Cut into thick pieces
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp curry powder I used mild
- 170 ml coconut milk or use your preference
- 1/2 lime/lemon juiced
- Preheat oven to 200oC/392oFSoak the kebab sticks (if wooden) in water for an hour to stop them burning.Oil a baking tray and thread the veg and 'chicken' onto the skewers. Drizzle/spray with a little oil and a sprinkle of salt.Bake for 25-30 minutes.Satay sauceTo a saucepan add the milk, soy sauce, curry powder, juice, peanut butter and maple syrup. Stir continually on a medium heat until the sauce simmers. Add a little water if sauce is too thick. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.Remove the skewers from the oven and place on a plate. Pour over the satay sauce and serve while hot. Enjoy!
Tip: If you’re using wooden skewers soak them in water before making the kebabs. This will stop the sticks burning in the oven or on the BBQ.