Chilli Mac & Cheese
I couldn't decide whether to have mac and cheese or chilli for dinner so I combined the two recipes. It turned out to be really tasty and not too spicy. A great winter warmer recipe.
Servings 2 people
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 cup plant cream I used Alrpo soya cream
- 1 cup vegan mince or cooked lentils
- 125 g macaroni pasta cooked
- 75 g grated cheese I used Violife epic mature
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper use more if you like it hot
- 1 tsp paprika, cumin & oregano
- 1/2 tsp pink/sea salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1/2 cup kidney beans
- MethodWhile cooking the sauce make sure your macaroni is cooking at the same time. Mine took 13 minutes.Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan on a medium heat. Fry the onion, garlic and pepper for 4-5 minutes to soften. If using mince fry this at the same time.Add the cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, oregano, paprika, lentils and kidney beans. Stir in and lightly fry for 2 minutes. Now add the cream, yeast, mustard and puree. Stir everything together and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce with the grated cheese. If the dish looks a little dry add a dash more cream or some of the water from the pasta. Combine all the ingredients and serve. Serve while hot with salad and garlic bread.
Tip: I originally used vegan mince for this recipe but when I made the video version I used lentils. If using mince make sure you fry it with the onions and garlic. If using lentils use tinned cooked lentils not dry ones. If the dish is too dry when it simmers add a little more cream or milk.