Chilli Non Carne with Dark Chocolate & Pear
This is a recipe from The Meatless Farm who kindly sent me the ingredients to make this meal using their mince. I've adjusted a few ingredients to match my tastes (not too much chilli) and I decided to add dark chocolate and a chopped pear to spice things up a bit. The sweetness of the chocolate complements the chilli and the pear gives a sweet cooling element to the spices in the chilli.
- 200 g vegan mince (I used Meatless Farm) Or use soya mince/lentils.
- 2 tbsp olive oil to fry
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 sticks celery – sliced optional
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- season with salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp flour I used wholemeal
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 200 g red kidney beans
- 200g chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pear – cored and chopped optional
- 2-3 squares dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes to soften. Add the mince and cook for a few minutes until it's brown. Add the garlic, chilli powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir together to coat the ingredients. Sprinkle over the flour then mix together. Pour in the stock stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Now add the chopped tomatoes, celery, pear, kidney beans, bay leaf & tomato puree. Stir everything together then add the oregano. Mix and cover on a low heat to simmer for ten minutes. After 10 minutes add the chocolate, mix in and cover for another ten minutes. One final stir and it's ready to serve. Best with rice, fresh bread and vegan sour cream. Enjoy!
TIP: This dish serves 2-3 but just double the ingredients to serve more and you can freeze it for another time. Instead of pear just leave it out or try a cooking apple.