Ginger & Cinnamon Cookies with Chocolate Chips
I've been asked by the charity Animal Aid to make some Christmas recipes for them. This is the first one for 2020. A gorgeous spiced cookie with dark chocolate. These are the best cookies I've made to so far.
- 200 g plain flour use gluten free if you wish
- 170 g dark brown soft sugar I used coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of pink/sea salt
- 80 g chopped dark chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp plant milk
- 100 g vegan butter I used flora block butter
- Preheat oven to 180oC/356oF
- Pour the sugar in a large bowl and add the butter. Using a large spoon cream the butter and sugar to form a paste. Add the vanilla and milk and mix in. Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder. Give it a good mix then use your hands to bring everything together. Add the chocolate and press into the dough. Roll (equal amounts) into a ball with your hands and lay out on a baking tray (leaving a gap as cookies will expand) and press down a little to flatten.Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool for at least ten minutes to cool.Enjoy!
Tip: Leave a gap between the balls of dough on the baking tray as when they cook they will expand. Let the cookies cool from the oven for at least 10 minutes before removing from the tray or they will fall apart. I left mine on a rack by an open window. Use a non stick tray or parchment paper. Let the butter warm to room temperature before creaming with the sugar. It’s more work when straight from the fridge. Makes 8 large or 16 smaller cookies. If you make 16 smaller cookies take 5 minutes off the cooking time.