Heart Shortbread (wholemeal)
These are delicious, healthy shortbread biscuits made with wholemeal flour and coconut sugar. If you want a traditional biscuit use white flour and sugar. I've added red food colouring and shaped them into hearts for a Valentines treat.
- 135 g plain flour I used wholemeal
- 60 g sugar I used coconut sugar
- generous pinch of sea/pink salt
- 110 g vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- red/pink food colouring (a few drops) Optional
- Preheat oven to 150oC/302oF Method Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter, vanilla and food colouring and mix together. Once a dough starts to form use your hands to rub the butter into the flour. Add a little more flour if the dough is sticky. Roll into a ball and set to one side. On a clean work surface sprinkle a little flour and roll out the dough. Keep it about 1cm thick or a little thicker. Cut into fingers or use a biscuit cutter and place the biscuits on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Keep and eye on the shortbread after half an hour as they can burn very quickly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for half an hour before removing from the baking sheet. Great served with a cup of tea or coffee. Enjoy.
Tip: Once you’ve made the dough you can shape them any way you wish. As I’ve used wholemeal flour and coconut sugar the biscuits have come out darker and the red doesn’t show up as well as it would using white ingredients. https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/aaroncaldervegan