Rice & Beans
Another super cheap recipe using very basic ingredients. This recipe serves 2-3 and is cheap, delicious and nutritious. The rice soaks up the flavours from the stock but feel free to add a little chilli powder if you like spicy food.
- 1 cup rice I used wholegrain rice
- 1.5 cups frozen mixed veg
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 litre just boiled water
- 1 can mixed beans drained
- Add the rice to a pan with the water and stock cube. Turn up the heat to high and stir all the ingredients together. Bring to a simmer and turn down the heat. Simmer for half the cooking time on the rice pack. Stir occasionally.Now add the frozen veg and turn up the heat to bring back to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer for the rest of the cooking time. Add the beans, stir together and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed.Serve while hot with salad and garlic bread.
Tip: Follow cooking instructions for the rice on the pack. I used wholegrain rice which takes 25 minutes to cook but you can use white rice if you want. Don’t overcook the rice as it will go soggy. If you’ve cooked for the full recommended time and there’s lots of liquid simply drain it off before serving. If you find there’s not enough liquid while cooking add a little more boiled water.