Roast ‘Beef’ Joint
Intro: Inspired by the BOSH TV guys and their Christmas recipes I thought I'd make my own 'beef' joint. Using ideas from their 'pork' joint and my previous recipes I came up with this amazing roast alternative.
- 1 tin chickpeas drained
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 80 g cooked beetroot save the juice
- 2 tsp gravy granules mixed with 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolve in gravy mix above
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 50 g tomato puree
- 100 ml beetroot juice use the juice from the beetroot pack
- 1 pinch pink/sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 250 g vital wheat gluten flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp marmite
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- rosemary & thyme sprinkle on top before roasting
- Preheat oven to 180oC/356oFTo a blender/food processor add the chickpeas, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, tomato puree, mustard, beetroot, juice, Marmite, coconut oil, soy sauce, gravy and stock.Blend until you have a lump free sauce (a few small lumps are fine). You might have to use a spatula to wipe the sides to make sure everything is combined and blended.Weigh out the vital wheat gluten flour in a large bowl and pour in the sauce. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon then use your hands to knead all the ingredients together.Turn out onto a clean surface and knead for a couple of minutes. Shape into a joint and wrap in tin foil.Steam for 45 minutes.Remove the foil and score with a knife a few times (see video).
- Mix all the glaze ingredients together and pour over the joint. roast for 40-45 minutes. Serve as a centerpiece for your roast dinner. Carve off slices as you would a regular joint. Enjoy!
Tip: If you don’t have a steamer then you can simmer in water for 40 minutes. Turning halfway. You can use leftovers in a sandwich, curry or stir-fry.