Sausage & Beans on Toast
Although baked beans are very cheap I'm not keen on them because of the added sugar. This recipe is still cheap and serves 3-4 with no added sugar. The tomatoes were 28p and the beans 55p. So easy to make and more interesting than regular beans.
- 1 tin mixed beans drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes drain off a little liquid
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- generous pinch of pink/sea salt
- season with black pepper
- vegan sausages 2 per person
- fresh bread
- Make sure your sausages are cooking and will be ready at the same time as your beans. Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil for a couple of minutes to soften. Pour in the tomatoes and turn up the heat, you want it to simmer. Add the salt, pepper, herbs and paprika. Add the drained beans and stir into the sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.Serve with freshly toasted buttered bread and your sausages. Enjoy!
Tip: I drained off some of the liquid from the tomatoes otherwise you get soggy toast. Why not add some chilli powder to spice it up a bit.