‘Turkey’ & Cranberry Slices
A traditional roast has the meat as the centre piece. I always worried my roasts lacked the wow factor but now this is a great addition to your roast/Christmas dinner.
- 130 g chickpeas drained
- 70 g cashews soaked over night in water or 15 minutes in just boiled water. Drain before use.
- 100 g oat flour I make my own by blending 100g oats in my blender to a fine flour.
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 150 ml plant milk unsweetened
- 120 g vital wheat gluten amazon or health stores
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pink/sea salt
- season with black pepper
- 2 tbsp chicken seasoning available from most supermarkets.
- To a blender/food processor add the milk, chickpeas, oil and cashews. Blend until you have a creamy liquid. A few small fine lumps are fine, these add to the texture. Add the vital wheat gluten, oat flour, onion & garlic powder, salt, pepper, seasoning and nutritional yeast.
Blend until the mixture turns to dough. Keep blending for 2-3 minutes. If the mixture is too wet add a little more vital wheat gluten.
In a large bowl add the cranberries and dough. Kneed the dough so that all the cranberries are combined into the dough. Shape into a small loaf/joint and wrap in parchment paper and then foil.
Place in a steamer and steam for 1 hour and ten minutes. Serve immediately with lots of gravy.
TIP: Once the joint is steamed you can serve it straight away or cut into slices and shallow fry for a crispier texture. The leftovers will be great for salads or in sandwiches.