Trifle – Vegan
I made this trifle using ready-made products to keep it simple. You can use other brands/products if you wish. There are so many options available.
Servings 5 people
- 1 pack vegan jelly prepare as per instructions
- 1 handful mixed fruit
- 300 ml soya milk I used unsweetened
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 200 g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milled chia seeds grind in a blender or coffee grinder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 100 ml veg oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tin Nature's Charm coconut custard or make your own
- 40 g vegan white chocolate Makes it set firmly rather than runny
- 1 tin Nature's Charm Oat Cream Or used Elmlee double or coconut cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180oCMix the vinegar/juice with the soya milk and set aside for 10 minutes (the cider/juice curdles the milk creating buttermilk).To a large mixing bowl add the flour, seeds, salt, sugar & baking soda and mix together. Pour in the milk, oil and vanilla and mix together until the cake batter forms. Set aside for five minutes for the ingredients to soak up the liquids. After ten minutes give the mix another few stirs and pour into a lined/oiled cake tin 30cmx20cm . Pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from the tin and allow to fully cool before cutting.Once cool cut into squares/rectangles. Make sure you cut so they will fit your trifle dish without being too big.
- I used a tin of Nature's Charm coconut custard to which I added
- To a large bowl add the cream, maple syrup and vanilla. whisk for a couple of minutes until everything is combined.
Making the trifle
- Using a large dessert bowl add a few slices of sponge to cover the base. Add a handful of fresh fruit. Prepare the jelly and pour over the sponge. Leave to set in the fridge. Mine took around 3 hours.Once set prepare the custard. Pour the tin of custard into a pan and add the chocolate. On a low heat stir until the chocolate has melted and mixed into the custard. Pour over the sponge and jelly base. Pop back in the fridge to set. Mine two around 2 hours.Once set mix the cream with the maple syrup and vanilla. Pour over the custard and spread evenly. Decorate with fresh fruit and grated dark chocolate.For best results let the cream set a little in the fridge.Enjoy!