Wholegrain Fruit Crumble
This is a great dessert to have after a roast dinner or in Autumn/Winter. My version uses wholegrains and no refined sugars. So healthy you can have it for breakfast (which I did). With added spices and dried mixed fruit it gives the crumble a Christmas/Winter taste.
- 2 Bramley apples (peel if you wish) cored & sliced thinly
- 1 pear cored & thinly sliced
- 50 g mixed dried fruit
- 75 g raspberries
- 1 tsp mixed spices 1/2 tsp on each of the two layers
- 80 g vegan spread or coconut oil
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp mixed spices
- 50 g coconut sugar (gives caramel taste) or sweetener of your choice
- 70 g oats
- pinch of pink/sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180oC/355oF. Brush an oven proof dish with a little of the vegan spread and set to one side. Core the apples and pear then cut into thin slices. I like to leave the skins on but you can remove them. Layer the dish with half the apple, pear, mixed fruit and raspberries. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar (I used coconut) and 1/2 tsp mixed spices. Repeat with another layer then set to one side.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, oats, sugar, salt, spices and spread. Mix together then use your hands to rub the spread into the dry mix. Pour over the fruit and press down gently. Bake for 40-45 minutes making sure the top doesn't burn. If it starts to burn cover with tin foil. I like to slow bake the crumble so the fruit steams to cook. To check if it's ready push a kebab/think knife into the centre and it should easily go through. If the fruit is too firm turn down the heat a little and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Enjoy with non dairy cream, custard or ice cream.
TIP: I used ready mixed spices (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, cassia, coriander seeds, caraway and clove) but normally I’d use a mix of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. You can use as much or as little as you’d like depending on your preference.